Thursday, August 04, 2005

Good morning - sorry I have been absent of late, the last two days, but I have been busy working on both of my lawn tractors that have malfunctioned. I have about an acre and a half to cut and the grass is growing something fierce since it rained last week. I need the tractors or I will have to contract a local farmer to come in with the hay combine.

This does illustrate a point in retirement activities. How did I get all of this done and work too? My John Deere has a carburetor problem that I can't find even after taking the thing apart and installing a kit that cost $72. Get this, it contained 6 screws, 2 threaded plugs, 3 gaskets, a gas control fixture and assorted small metal gaskets. No instructions. You can buy a Holly carb kit for a four barrel for $30. What's wrong with this picture?

In any event, I have taken it apart at least three more times to no avail. It still won't idle. I have called several local shops for advice but no one has a clue - I may wind up buying a new carb for $160. This what should have done in the first place given what I know now. Of course hind sight is always twenty twenty -

I gave up on the Deere and went for a bike ride - it wasn't much fun given the humidity and heat even though it was cloudy and even some light rain - I went 43 miles but when I got home it felt like I had got 80. I was very tired. I only averaged 18.5 mph on mostly flat and lightly rolling terrain - whatz up with that ?









No comments: