Monday, March 20, 2006

New Book - Weapons of Choice

I just started a new book called Weapons of Choice by John Birmingham. It is a science fiction that is set in the year 2021 and concerns a navel combat battle group that is about to do bad things to some bad people, when one of the ships in the fleet, a research vessel, has a super fast atomic accelerator on it, or something like that, and is about to test it.

Of course I just knew something bad would happen when they fired this time up, and I was right, it ripped the fabric of time and transported the entire fleet back to 1942. It so happens that there was a US navel fleet on duty at the same spot, at that same time.

The problems that ensued are incredible as both fleets had no idea what was going on, especially the old guys from 1942 when they saw this huge number of weird looking ships suddenly appear. They of course thought these ship were part of the Japanese war machine that some how snuck-up on them, and attacked them as best as they could. The new guys didn't know if they were afoot or horse back.

This is as far as I have gotten, but I have to say I have some very strong objections to one part of this story, even though it is fiction, the implication makes my blood run cold.

The problem that I have is the name of the new super aircraft carrier that got blown back in time, her name is the USS Hillary Clinton. My shock was so great when I read that name I contemplated not going any further in the book. It was as though the book had some kind of disease. I never realized that name would cause me such physical discomfort when associated with something that I consider to be sacred.

When you contemplate the fact that Hillary hates everything that has to do with the military or America or humanity in any form, for that matter, it's no wonder that I reeled in horror when I read that part of the book. The thought that she would have done something for America that would have been noble enough to have an aircraft carrier named after her is beyond comprehension. Even in a factious story, it is ludicrous. If they named war ship after such person as Hillary, it would only be fitting to name the next one in honor of Carl Marx. The only saving grace is the ship is about to be torpedoed.

I never thought I would be glad to see one of our finest war ship go to the bottom of the sea.

No comments: