Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Liberal Media Bias on American Corporation

Sometimes I think I become too involved in what is going on in the world of information. Maybe I am beginning to see things that aren't there. There are things in the media, think liberals here, that I don't need proof of as they stand out for everyone to see that have a once of perception, especially politics, but what about media bias when it come to American corporations.

Does the media hate American corporations like they hate the American military? How about the media hate for Christians? Jews? Capitalism? Cars? Whoa!

What prompted this was a report that I saw last night on my local TV news cast concerning the latest crash tests on automobiles by the Insurance Institute for Highway safety. (IIHS) The report was the "Top safety Picks for 2006".

Also the morning edition of the local paper had headlines on the financial page showing how an American manufacture had the lowest rated car in the midsized moderately priced cars. The crash test that dropped this vehicle into the pits was the rating for side impacts.

I have been around and worked on cars all my life. I have repaired car engines from the bottom up, done body work and electrical repairs as well as spray painting of completely reworked cars. I think that I have a feel for automobiles and how they should perform under most circumstances.

What I don't understand is how one manufacture in this country has the honor of being the most celebrated for failure. I see it car magazines as well. If there is one manufacture that is going to be criticize above all others, it will be FORD.

If Ford has a recall, you can bet it will make news. The papers and TV will have automotive reports on how death is just around the corner for you if you have one of these bad cars. And it seems that no matter how trivial the problem is, the media makes it out to life threatening.

I refuse to believe that Ford is the only one that has problems. I remember General Motors had a recall that made the papers. Other than this, I can not remember when I have heard of another car manufacture having a recall, other than Ford.

Is it possible that Honda and Toyota have never had a recall where they have had to send out letters to millions of owners to bring in their cars for rework? What about Chrysler? Oh, sorry, they are owned by the Germans now so they have automatically come off the media hit list.

Funny thing, I just got a letter to bring in my Chrysler minivan to have the rear heat vents reworked and before that the front suspension. I don't remember seeing that in the papers, but Ford had to bring in thousands of police cars as their dash boards were collapsing under the weight of all that equipment that they have stacked on it. That made national news including a class action law suit form police departments.

The car magazines joined in on this one as well. Their comment was that Ford just doesn't give the public what they want, quality and reliability. Really? I believe it's just their critical opinion of anything American.

Given all this history, I wondered why the Institute decided to high-light this one particular division of cars, the midsized moderately priced. hmmmm Maybe it wasn't the Highway safety people at all, maybe it was an enterprising journalist that saw an opportunity to take it to an American manufacture, Ford, and their newest car, the Fusion. What a great opportunity to kick Ford as their financial picture at this time is not good.

The main thrust of the news was the safety for side impacts. Here again, the media decided to edit the list just a little - according to IIHS, the top pick was the Saab 9-3 , gold rating, and the Subaru Legacy also got a gold rating.

But what cars did the media decide to talk about, the Lexus and BMW 3 Series. They both rated sliver and 5th and 7th, respectively. Also, these top rated car all had side air bags as options or came as standard equipment. They never mentioned the four top picks in this category. I don't get it?

True, the Fusion didn't perform well, no side air bags this year, but there were many others that were just as bad but weren't mentioned at all, just Ford made into the headlines.

Something else that the media failed to mention is in the large car division as Top Picks for 2006, the two gold rated cars were Ford products, the Five Hundred and the Mercury Montego. There was only one other rated car in this entire class and this was the Audi A6, rated silver.

Am I out of bounds here? Am I getting a little paranoid? It just seems that Ford gets a lot of unfair air time while the other more favored, more politically correct manufactures get a pass.

No comments: