Monday, December 05, 2005

Oprah and Diversity

Tell me something that will help me understand what Oprah has that makes good ordinary people fall on their faces just to get close to her? It can't just be her TV show for goodness sake, it has to be some kind of magnetism or an aura that has a magical effect on the subconscious.

If people were wide awake when they watched her on TV, they wouldn't show this obsessive behavior when they actually saw her in person, would they? Do these people actually go this crazy when they watch her on television?

Get this, I have never seen her show! Am I out of the loop or what - ? Do you care?

I must admit when she gave away a new car to everyone in the audience of her show, she set a new standard for talk shows. Everyone that I know thought it was a first and hard to believe or comprehend. A new car for everyone just for showing up? Of course they didn't know this when they signed up for that day's audience.

Still, she has to have that special something that everyone wants or wants to get close to, that's for sure - she's kind of like Elvis or the Beatles - a little different crowd maybe, but still, it's that persona that draws them in and keeps them coming back.

There was an article in the paper that about her that I thought was fascinating in that when she went on the David Letterman show, his ratings went through the roof. They were higher than at any other time in the last ten years. It was the first time in 16 years that she had appeared on his show and she stated that there never was any kind of feud between the two of them. I still don't get it - what does that say for me? hummmmm

Here's another tidbit that I found in the paper today. I don't why I picked up on this, I almost never read the paper being that it is so far off center, other than the head line 'Diversity grows, slowly' caught my eye. That word 'Diversity' ruffles my feathers some.

Hollywood still has a problem with diversity in their programming decisions. I don't care much for those light weight left wingers from tinsel town, but this thing on diversity has some ethnic groups concerned about their kind not being full appreciated and involved.

The controlling group is called the Multi-Ethnic Media Coalition which is made up of Asians, Latinos, Blacks and American Indians. I'm sure there more special interest groups out there that want a share of the pie, but these are some of the larger institutions that have graded the studios as only fair in their hiring practices of minorities. The American Indian organization says they gave the studios a failing grade due to the fact there aren't any Indian shows in their programming schedule at all.

It seems that everyone has to get theirs. It wasn't that long ago, in a past posting, we talked about diversity and it's effects.

But maybe because I live in the country and don't get to town much, I loose track of what is happening in the real world. Real world, what's real about it? As I said yesterday, I am trying to find that window into what the good life of fresh air and sunshine has to offer, so when things like these special interest groups make the news as they all are grabbing for the brass ring on the Hollywood merry-go-round, I realize that I am finally starting to slip away from that old life of pushing and shoving on the ladder to success. I don't begrudge them their place in the sun, I just don't think everyone has to have someone else's definition of success.

Again, nose to the grind stone and keep the faith - hope springs eternal in the human brest -

No comments: