Saturday, February 04, 2006

The Saturn 5

Posted by Picasa While I was sorting through some pictures that I took some years ago down in Florida at the Kennedy Space Center, I ran across this shot of the business end of the Saturn 5. What a magnificent piece of genius.

This picture is nice but to see it up close is absolutely fantastic. Of course, it helps that I love this kind of stuff anyway, and having some background education of what it takes to build even the most basic machine to perform a task, this was breath-taking to say the least.

The Saturn 5 was considered to be the Eighth Wonder of the World. It reportedly had only a 2% system failure rate. Given that there are thousands of systems on this monster, and that they all have to perform their tasks perfectly and at the right time under tremendous pressures, is almost beyond my comprehension.

What a fantastic country that we live in! I couldn't be more proud of what we have accomplished over the last 250 years. I wonder what the next 250 will bring?

No comments: