Saturday, January 21, 2006

The Economy Looking Good

The Dow really made us take another look at the economy when it took the hit for 213 points. I wondered just what made all this happen in one day - was it the price of oil that is being artificially inflated by speculators, or is it just some traders that think GE and some other large companies that had some bad quarters were important enough to start taking profits big time?

What ever the reason, I started to look around to see what some experts were thinking about this drop in confidence. Some are saying that it is just an adjustment in the system and others think that it is good that it happened so as to make sure we know where the base numbers are for future decisions. hmmmm Could be - - but I have confidence that our economy is strong as I remember watching the Dow come from 7800 back in 2001 to 10,800 now. We lost five years of earnings, but at least we have gained back and moved beyond those losses and can have confidence that the economy is strong. This is very important for future decisions.

Of course, I didn't do anything, what could I do, when I saw what little that I have in the system take a hit, not huge of course, not like back in 2001 or anything like that where I lost 50% of everything, but still it set me back a few weeks which I don't like in the least at this time in my life, but what can I do about except punt! Old fears die hard.

But take heart, child, some state governors have released some astounding figures for their states.

Governor Pataki of New York state announced that he will wind up with a 2 billion dollar surplus this year.

Governor Schwarzenegger of California, of all places, announced that he will have 5.2 billion dollars in reserves at the end of the year. Remember the horrible record that state had before Arnold took over?

See, things aren't as bad as one might think - This is just one of the great results of President Bush's tax cut at work. Everybody gets a chance to make a difference. You are in control of your own destiny - more money in your pocket - - opportunity knocks - remember how that works - sink or swim - you choose. It looks like millions have decided to swim - cool!

Arkansas, Florida, Maryland, Oklahoma, Virginia and three dozen other states are reporting revenues above forecasts. All of this out of the Wall Street Journal - I wonder why it never made it into the main stream? heh How does it go, " no news is good news" especially when it's good news for the country.

No comments: