Sunday, July 10, 2005

Sunday night is always, or always use to be, a low point because I had to go to work the next day. But now it's just another fun evening. Retirement suits me just fine.

Being a biker, bicyclist, means riding in all kinds of weather. Today was 90 degrees and a lot of sunshine. I rode with a club out of Madison, Wisconsin. They sponsor rides during the week as well on the week end. Sunday is always a fun ride in that it is fast, for the most part, and the group was congenial. But the heat today was a factor.

We started out at 8 in the morning at a nice pace, about 18 mph, and then it started to ramp up to 20 and many times in the flats we were doing 25 and 27 mph. When it came to the climbs, I started to fade after about an hour. My legs were shot and my heart rate was topping out at 198. I averaged 173 for the day which is pretty normal for me. I have been in races where I averaged 183 for over an hour and a half. To say the least, I was spent at the end.

At any rate, I hope everyone enjoyed the day as it was a perfect summer example, lots of sun and the humidity was just normal for this time of year. I love it hot!

No comments: