Monday, October 16, 2006

October in Wisconsin

Went for a bike ride yesterday. The sun finally came out after four days of darkness, cold and wet conditions so I felt like I had to do it.

A bunch of us meet in a small town at 9 a.m. to ride to another small town 25 miles away to have lunch. This was to be a fun ride.

The problem that I had with the whole affair was the temperature. At 9 in the morning, with the sun, out it was 33 degrees. I froze.

As it was, the ride wasn't too bad after we got going, but that first few miles was something I want to forget. The restaurant that we had in mind was over rolling country side with a couple of good climbs to get the body temperature up. The fall colors were great.

The problem with this was we were dressed for a leisure ride in the country. Because of all the layers of clothing, the body couldn't dispense the heat we generated. At the same time, I am out of shape, so I had to work extra hard and there by created a lot of extra heat - not a good thing.

But lunch was good and the ride back was okay except I lost what little performance I had due the food sitting in my stomach. Instead of the blood going to my legs were I needed it most, it went to my stomach to digest the food - dang

Finally, when the parking lot came into view, I gave a big sigh of relief that the ride was over and I didn't have to wait along side the road to recover. Maybe it wasn't that bad but I was tired after only 52 miles. The warm cloths sure felt good -

I know that more good weather is coming our way so I will wait for a much warmer day to do anymore riding. I really don't like cold weather under any condition, especially when riding my bike.

Okay, yeah, I'm soft but I know what I like and I don't have to ride If I don't want to - so there!

No comments: