Monday, September 12, 2011

Ford GT Ride of A Life Time!!





My ride in a Ford GT at speed

Okay - a dream come true! I have always loved this car, a Ford GT, from the minute I laid eyes on it years ago. It has the lines and look that can keep one awake at night dreaming of just being able to even touch one. This all started a year ago when I came in contact with an individual that has one and I got to have my picture taken while standing and touching it. Yikes! Never in my wildest dreams did I believe I would get to ride in one at racing speeds.

As these shots show, I got to ride in one of the fastest cars on earth , and the ride I got was something from the most far out dreams anyone could have in the right seat of a car that is out of touch with reality. Now the story that I will never, ever forget.

After I got in, I looked for the seat belts but he said don't worry about that, we crash they won't help. Oh, okay.

With my hands in my lap, I did look for a 'cheater bar' but why would a car like this have something like that? Then with all this nonsense aside, we rolled out of the parking lot, down the drive way and eased out into the street. With about 2 inches of clearance, he had to be sure the car would clear the gutter at the end of the driveway. But that's where the sanity stopped.

After turning into the straight, he hit the accelerator and I was slammed back into the seat with such force that we could have been hit from behind by a car going 60 mph. My vision narrowed as the ground went from zero to so fast that I had no time to realize we were headed for a 90 degree turn.

At a speed I thought we would never make the corner, he was hard on the brakes, down shifted, slammed into the corner at a speed I thought was undoable but around we went, hit the next gear for the straight, engine screaming out for more, accelerating again faster and faster until we approached the next corner, and again I thought 'oh shit' here we go again.

Like some tin horn from the sticks, this time I grabbed the sides of the seat for security, how foolish is that, but it did help me from hitting the door. In hind sight, I lost some face on that move.

But like the last time, he was hard on the brakes, down shifted, accelerating hard through the corner, the car flat and level, then shooting out into the straight like a cannon. With the engine screaming out with a tone that makes your heart sing and your eyes bleed, we shot ever faster down the straight until we saw the stop sign. Woha. Never fear, hard on the brakes, no dipping down of front end, just unbelievable stopping power.

At the stop sign, some guy was waiting on a bike to cross the street. He had the look on his face when we came to a complete stop like, 'what the f---!is this'

I would like to think the expression on my face the whole time was one of absolute delight, but maybe it was one of facing my own demise, at speeds never dreamed of experiencing. Of course I didn't think about this until long after the ride. But considering the worst, having this note on my tomb stone," Killed at speed in Ford GT" Now how cool would that be. heh

No comments: