Tuesday, April 24, 2007

What it Means to be a Conservative

This is well put and to the point and, I might add, true. It's the very basis of our core beliefs. Read the entire article - -

From Powerline -

Damnation road

Andrew Klavan is the successful mystery novelist whose work includes Shotgun Alley, True Crime, Don't Say a Word and, most recently, Damnation Street. He's also a conservative. Joel Schwartz pays tribute to Klavan in the recent Weekly Standard article "The Klavan file" (subscribers only). The new issue of City Journal concludes with Klavan's "The big white lie." Here is the opening paragraph:

The thing I like best about being a conservative is that I don’t have to lie. I don’t have to pretend that men and women are the same. I don’t have to declare that failed or oppressive cultures are as good as mine. I don’t have to say that everyone’s special or that the rich cause poverty or that all religions are a path to God. I don’t have to claim that a bad writer like Alice Walker is a good one or that a good writer like Toni Morrison is a great one. I don’t have to pretend that Islam means peace.

You'll want to read it all.

No comments: